Kyphosis Causes, Symptoms & Treatment Orange County & Irvine, CA
Kyphosis is the roundness of the spine (hunchbacked) and can affect patients of any age.
Other potential causes of kyphosis include:
- Aging (especially if you have poor posture)
- Muscle weakness in the upper back
- Scheuermann’s disease (occurs in children and has no known cause)
- Arthritis or other bone degeneration diseases
- Osteoporosis (loss of bone strength due to age)
- Injury to the spine
- Slipped discs
- Scoliosis (spinal curvature)
Less commonly, the following may also lead to kyphosis:
- Infection in the spine
- Birth defects, such as spina bifida
- Diseases of the endocrine system
- Diseases of the connective tissues
- Paget’s disease
- Muscular dystrophy
When to Seek Treatment for Kyphosis
You should seek treatment if your kyphosis is accompanied by:
- Breathing difficulties
Much of our flexibility, mobility, and activity depend on the health of the spine. Getting treatment to help correct the curvature may help you reduce the risk of complications later in life, such as arthritis and back pain.
For kyphosis caused by poor posture, you will not need aggressive treatments. However, the following will help relieve the symptoms of kyphosis:
- Medication for pain
- Physical therapy (to help build strength in the core and back muscles)
- Yoga (to increase body awareness and build strength, flexibility, and range of motion)
- Weight loss
- Braces (in children and teens)
- Chiropractic treatments (to correct the spinal alignment)
- Surgery (in severe cases)
Are You Suffering from Neck, Back or Spine Pain?
Stop living in pain and get back to living an active life! To schedule an appointment with Dr. Gerald Alexander and to find out the right spine treatment for your condition, please call (714) 937-4859 or Request Appointment here.